Kabul, Afghanistan: At least 16 people, including seven women, have been killed in Nato airstrike on the eastern province of Laghman, but Nato officials denied reports.
Afghan official Abdul Khaliq Husaine said that ”Women normally go out to collect wood in the night, they came under attack in the early hours of Sunday morning.”
According to the reports, the incident took place in the Alingar district of eastern Afghanistan’s Laghman province.
Sarhadi Zwak, a provincial spokesman, said that ”Civilians had been killed in an airstrike in the area, but did not have exact numbers.”
A spokesman for NATO’s International Security Assistance Force denied the killing of any civilians and said the strike was against “a large group of insurgents” in the province, east of the capital Kabul. ISAF identified the group of about 45 as hostile, and attacked with “precision munitions and direct fire,” said spokesman James Graybeal.
Many civilians have lost their lives in the Nato operations in various parts of Afghanistan over the past months, with Afghans becoming increasingly outraged at the seemingly endless number of the deadly assaults.