1) For those who don’t know about ‘Kachee Goliyan’, can you tell us a little about it?
We are Pakistan’s first proper comic company. When we started off, we wanted to consolidate comics as a medium of expression instead of it just being something to make people laugh. Today, we are at a proud position where we have almost a million people following us on various social media and have been featured in BBC, Gulf News, and the India Times. We have distributed around 300,000 comicbooks for free around Pakistan till now and have our own website.
2) I’d like to start with a general background of what you were doing prior to the time and how you came up with ‘Kachee Goliyan?’
We have been studying business management and working on our social enterprise by the name of Pappu.
3) I love the way how you people show your work on your page. What was your motivation for doing that?
Well, we felt that there was a big need which was largely being unaddressed. We use to roam around the streets of Karachi and feel that there is so much frustration and no one is addressing it, besides that we have always been comic fans ourselves and felt a need for having a Pakistani superhero hence we started off with this.
4) What are your influences? What illustrator and comic artists inspire you?
The street that you live on influences us, we are a product of this world and we only let this world influence us we do not follow any illustrators or comic artists.
5) Can you take us through a typical day for you, from warm-up to when you put the pencil down and call it a day?
We don’t use a pencil we use a bamboo tab, its too hard to describe to be honest you will have to visit us and see us in action to figure it out.
6) Where do you think the comic strip fits in today’s culture?
They fit as a social commentary. In Pakistan, people need to be more expressive and understand expression too.
7) What is the work you’ve done that you’re the most excited about?
We have published comic books. We came out with the first ever Pakistani comic book which was published every month and distributed free all over Pakistan. Recently, we have come out with another comic book called Sheen. It’s a story about a kid who gets super powers and fights off evils in his neighborhood.
8) Who is the person in ‘Kachee Goliyan’ you think without him ‘Kachee Goliyan’ would not be complete?
Our characters: JC and Sufi.
9) Where do you see your page in one year? Do you think you are achieving your goal?
I think you haven’t researched properly about what we are. We were always more than a Facebook page. Since we were business students, this thing was always a company. The Facebook page is just one end of the business.
10) Can you tell us a little about your website ‘KGHub,’ what are the points it throws light upon?’
It wants to be the biggest entertainment portal in South Asia.
11) Do you have any quick advice for aspiring comic illustrators out there? Any message for your fans?
Persistency! And try not to make money from the start. Stick around.
12) On a scale from one to 10, rate me as an interviewer.
13) Views about GaibianPost?
I think you guys are doing a very nice job since the mainstream media is all about conflict in Pakistan, you guys are aiming to bring positive news from across Pakistan and consolidate it at an online medium. I’d like to see you guys as the next Huffington Post of the region.
Interviewed by: Abdul Rehman Mian