Rebellious Antagonists is a rap crew which brings a difference, calling them the voice of people, they bring revolutionary raps provoking people to think about the corrupt system they are living in, getting banned from Pakistan TV Channels and Radios didn’t changed their vision and they are still fighting in their own way.
We caught up with Fahad Yousaf, team member of Rebellious Antagonists, to learn more about the move and the band’s overall strategy.
1) For those who don’t know about you, can you tell us a little about it?
Well, we have three members working under the Label of DESI LEGION MUSIC: Fahad Aka Stoner Fy Aka Psychedelic Jedi, Sam aka Mr. Baloch, Suraj Aka Ghettoboii. We are from different parts I got raised in Quetta than lived in UK for a brief period and now I live in Islamabad. Sam got raised in Islamabad while Suraj lives in Germany. Me and MR. Baloch got to know about each other in the starting of 2013 our thoughts were same and had the same message so we decided to make this group Rebellious Antagonists which was all about underground music and revolutionary raps.
2) I’d like to start with a general background of what you are doing prior to the making hip hop songs? When and how you came up with your first single?
Prior to rap you can say I didn’t had my life straightened like any teenager I was more focused on friends living the life to the fullest away from parents made me some what ignorant arrogant, until 2011 when my father passed away, I returned home to my mum that’s where it all changed still didn’t really thought about rapping although I’ve always been a vivid listener of rap. It’s been more than 10 years since I’ve been writing but it wasn’t till 2012 that I started rapping. We were highly convinced that we can do something through music. Our first single came on 14th August ‘Khamosh Duniya’ that spread like fire it was against the corrupt government and the genocide of muslims it got mad props on it.
3) Describe ‘Rap’ in one word?
I would rather use a phrase “Its like Painting Pictures With Words.”
4) Rebellious Antagonists, a very unique name, how you came up with this name and is there any reason behind it?
We wanted to show our main reason behind rap that was to aware and speak against the corrupt system so rebellious came from that while all three of us have been survivors (fighters) against struggles of live so antagonists came which means warriors.
5) Which Pakistani female singer would you like to collaborate with?
Not that I can think of any. We don’t make lovey dovey pop songs and mostly the female singers our here are more into that.
6) Does your RAP carry a particular message or is it meant for pure pleasure?
Of course, What’s rap without message? Pleasure, yes we certainly get it as its our passion but we are more focused on why we started rap and that was to aware people of the bitter truth.
7) When you did the tsunami songs, how you came with it? Was there any extra thought and sentimental stuff ?
Tsunami was done in one night when Imran Khan took that fall we aren’t really affiliated to any political party but the fact that he is patriotic and trying to do something for our country really clicked us to make something.
8) If you could go back in fictional time, what would you change in this world? (Team Rebellious)
Well, if that was a possibility we would’ve been more focused on the fact that Khilafat didn’t ended cause that was the right way to rule a country.
9) What big names in rap field you look to for inspiration, whose work has influenced you most?
Immortal Technique, Lowkey, Mic Righteous, Vinnie Paz, R.A. the Rugged Man, AOTP and Brother Ali. I do have mainstream artist who made me wanna rap but I am not influenced by them nor are they my inspiration so won’t name them.
10) One thing that separates you from other rappers is having control over your stuff. Was that established from the beginning, or did it take time?
Well everything takes time to get stable it took time but we already have that essence to make a difference so I can say we already had it in us we just polishing it.
11) Tell us a little about your label DESI LEGION MUSIC?
Desi Legion Music is our label that deals with professional studio recording Mixing mastering and also video production its an independent label in which Me, Suraj and Sam has started it for the new upcoming talent to not be wasted and to help hiphop to prosper in Asia.
12) Do you think you are achieving your goal? What sort of feedback did you get from it?
Yes, Allhumdulilah in a matter of years we got over 7 million views combined on our songs. Khilona one of our tracks got 1.2 Million views in a matter of 2 months that’s a big achievement, got our interview on national tv and our song got played on ARY Musik, though we didn’t asked for it so that’s a big accomplishment and apart from that we have our REBELS we don’t call them our fans they are our fam they stand next and there support is unreal so without these REBELS it wouldn’t have been possible.
13) Are you coming up with some next projects?
The list goes here:
- Lafzani Katil – Suraj
- Bura Khawb – Suraj
- Warm Up Sessions Ep 2 – Rebellious Antagonists (Video+ Audio Release)
- Now You Know – Maddy Khan ft Rebellious Antagonists
- Karz- DLM ( Suraj Saini x RA) x Yaruq Masood Malik (Video+ Audio Release)
- Khel (No Instincts) – DLM ( Suraj x RA ) (Video+ Audio Release)
- Rebels Talk – Rebellious Antagonists x Âŧi ĴaVed (Video+ Audio Release)
14) What personal advice would you give to someone wanting to pursue this career?
No dream is too big dude you can do this!
15) On a scale from one to 10, rate me as an interviewer.
You’re pretty cool fam, 10.
16) Views about GaibianPost?
Love what you lots are doing keep at it!
Interviewed by: Abdul Rehman Mian