1) For those who don’t know about you and your work, can you tell us a little about yourself?
My name is Talha Anjum, I’m the leading vocalist/lyricist/record producer of a Karachi based Hip Hop band Young Stunners.
2) I’d like to start with a general background of what you were doing prior to the time and how you came up with your first single?
I came up with my first single after listening to several American rappers who inspired me. In short American Hip Hop, and west side rappers in particular inspired me to write my own stuff. West side rappers as in rappers from California. Tupac, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, Hussain Fatal, and the Punjabi Rapper Bohemia. I’m a Fan!
3) Burger-e-Karachi, a great success, were you expecting this much appreciation from your fans?
I expected a good feedback, but not this much. Alhamdullilah I’ve marked my name in this industry with songs like Burger e Karachi and Maila Majnu, it’s amazing.
4) What songs best describes your work ethic?
Mein Hu Pakistan, I have big plans for this song in near future, the world will witness.
5) Thought behind this line ‘Jo bolay Talha mera dost hai dhuii pe laat do?’
There’s a lot of people around in Pakistan that claim that Talha Anjum is my friend and this and that, just to gain female attention, so this line is for the girls out there, kick em in the ass if the guy says I’m his friend.
6) Which Pakistani female singer would you like to collaborate with?
Q.B maybe. I love the song Humsafar, but collaboration happens naturally, you never know who you will end up working with.
7) Does your RAP carry a particular message or is it meant for pure pleasure?
Rap is about sending message, Burger e Karachi, Maila Majnu etc etc are not just social satires, I’m trying to explain people to be real to themselves and the people around, be who you are.
8) Name one actor/actress you would love to get naughty with?
Actor? hahaha. Well, actresses get enough naughty on screen so theres no fun in it, I’d rather get naughty with the one I love someday.
9) Can you talk about that one defining moment when you knew you wanted to be a rapper?
I don’t really remember the time I started music, it was a long way back, I wrote a song on school life in 2009, never really recorded it but that poetry was a breakthrough.
10) Can you talk about a fan encounter that completely took you by surprise?
There was girl who screamed my name, ran towards me and hugged me, it would not have been awkward if it wasn’t Marriott Hotel’s lobby. I was surprised as well as embarrassed but, loved the love.
11) What personal advice would you give to someone wanting to pursue this career?
If you want to be a musician, rapper in particular, don’t remake my songs. Make something new and interesting, we have enough songs on Burgers mailays and mummy daddys.
12) On a scale from one to 10, rate me as an interviewer.
9.5 & keep up the good work.
12) Views about GaibianPost?
You’re doing great, bringing artists closer to the fans. I am happy about it.
Interviewed by: Abdul Rehman Mian